This Spicy Chicken Chili is a fall favorite. Its a one pot meal that makes cooking and clean up a breeze. Ground chicken combined with fresh tomatoes, organic beans, and spices to create a beautiful blend of flavor. The perfect weeknight meal when you’re watching the game or just want to have an evening of delicious comfort food.
What meat goes into chili?
This recipe uses ground turkey, but you can also use ground beef or turkey. Some people will even add chunks of steak to a chili recipe. I prefer ground meat because its faster and easier to make. The best part about this recipe is that it can also be made vegetarian by leaving out the meat and substituting chicken broth for vegetable broth.
How to thicken the chili?
This recipe doesn’t use any ingredients to thicken the chili, but by letting the chili boil uncovered and then adding the egg it will thicken the chili nicely. If the chili seems to have too much liquid before adding the egg then let it boil a little longer to reduce some of the liquid. If you like a thick chili you can also add a little arrowroot flour to the meat in the beginning. This will thicken the liquid and make it more of a gravy consistency.
What can I serve chili with?
Chili can be served with cornbread, tortillas, rolls, bread, etc. Anything to soak up the amazing juices of the chili. A nice green salad would also go great on the side of the chili.
Spicy Chicken Chili
- 1 white onion-chopped
- 2 jalapeño- seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic- chopped
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes- chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper- chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can chile beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro- chopped for garnish
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- Place a large and deep pan over medium heat and add avocado oil. When pan is hot add ground chicken and cook until brown.
- Next, add chopped onion and garlic sautéing until onion is soft and fragrant. Add all peppers to the pan and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Once these steps have been completed add all of the spices to your pan stirring the mixture to combine the flavors. Next, add your tomatoes and beans to the pan, followed by the chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil and then cover pot with a lid and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Simmer chili for 20 minutes to allow all of the flavors to combine.
- When chili is done simmering, remove lid and turn heat up to medium. Crack your eggs around the pan and allow them to cook. You will know they are cooked when they turn white around the yolk. Sprinkle top with cheese and allow to melt.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve!