I figured it was time for a simple, healthy snack recipe. Who doesn’t love sitting around the tv with family/friends eating some yummy food and binging the latest episode of your favorite series? But, what if you could snack and not feel guilty afterwards? This Pita Chips with white bean hummus recipe is a great snack idea that is clean, healthy, and will satisfy your hunger pains. Without any time to waste let’s get this snack started!
semi-spicy Pita chips
To start off, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Then using a package of pre-made pitta bread, slice each piece into rough triangular shapes. These will be your pita chips. Place each triangular chip on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set those aside for now, and in a medium bowl add in 1/2 cup of olive oil, 2 tbsp. crushed red pepper, along with 1 tsp of salt. Mix these ingredients together and drizzle it over each chip as evenly as possible. Place the coated chips in the 400-degree oven for 15 minutes until they’re golden brown.
While your homemade chips are in the oven, add 2 cans of cannellini beans into a blender or food processor. Add in juice from half a lemon, 2 tbsp. liquid seasoning, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1 cup of olive oil. Slowly add more olive oil, until the desired consistency is achieved. Taste the hummus and add chili powder and salt-dependent on your preference. Puree/blend again once salt and chili powder have been added. Place in a serving bowl/dish.
In a separate small bowl add in 1/4 cup of olive oil, the zest from 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 cup of basil. Drizzle this mixture over the hummus, when the chips are golden brown remove them from the oven and allow them to cool before serving with the hummus dip.
I hope you enjoy this simple and healthy snack recipe!
White Bean Hummus with Spicy Pita Chips
- 2 cans Cannellini beans- drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lemon
- zest from 1/2 of a lemon set the zest aside until ready to use
- 1/2 cup basil- chopped
- 2 tbsp liquid seasoning I use the Braggs brand
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 cups olive oil
- 1 package pre-made pita bread I buy mine from Whole Foods
- 2 tbsp crushed red pepper
- salt for taste
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut pita bread in half and then into triangle pieces. Place the pita chips on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place 1/2 cup of olive oil in a bowl and add crushed red pepper and 1 tsp of salt. Mix together and then drizzle over the pita chips. Using your hands, toss the bread with the oil mixture. Place chips in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place cannellini beans in a food processor. Add lemon juice, liquid seasoning, garlic and 1 cup of olive oil. Puree. Slowly add more olive oil until the desired consistency is achieved. You want the hummus to be smooth and velvety, but not too thick. Add additional olive oil, if needed. Taste the hummus and add chili powder and salt for taste. Puree again to combine the ingredients. Pour into a serving bowl and set aside.
- In a second small bowl, add 1/4 cup of olive oil, lemon zest and basil. Mix together. Drizzle the basil oil over the hummus.
- When chips are done baking place them on a serving plate. Serve the chips with the hummus. Enjoy!