It’s Friday night and you’re looking for something to make for dinner. You don’t want to spend all night in the kitchen, but you also don’t want to order takeout. This recipe is perfect for that kind of evening. It’s healthy, delicious, and takes little to no time to put together. In 30 minutes or less you can have a restaurant worthy meal that’s completely satisfying. Wild caught shrimp and scallops are mixed with fresh cilantro, jalepeno, and green onion to create a flavorful seafood salad. The seafood salad is then placed on top of creamy avocado salad that has been spooned over a sushi rice patty. The Shrimp and Avocado Salad is a great meal idea for any evening that you’re limited on time. Serve with your favorite martini and plantain chips.
What kind of fish should be used in the recipe?
Wild caught shrimp or scallops are what is recommended. Crab can be used as well if you can find it. If not, scallops will work. Make sure the seafood is cooked before suing it in the recipe. If the fish is not cooked place it in boiling water and boil until fully cooked.
What can be served with this dish?
What is nice about this dish is that it’s a full meal in one recipe. You have your protein, starch, and vegetable. If you want to eat this meal by itself go right ahead. To add a little something to the Shrimp and Avocado Salad serve it with plantain chips. The chips are nice and salty and will allow you to scoop up the seafood and avocado mixture, giving it a nice crunchy salt.
Shrimp and Avocado Stack
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp
- 1/2 pound cooked scallops
- 2 firm avocados- diced they should be firm but not hard and not soft
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions- chopped chop until you reach the dark green part.
- 1 jalapeño- seeds removed and chopped
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp liquid seasoning Worcestershire sauce can be used
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- salt/ pepper for taste
- micro greens for garnish optional
- Start by cooking your rice. Place the rice in a sieve and rinse it thoroughly under water. Place the clean rice in a medium pot with water, rice wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and then cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl add avocado, lime juice, and 2 tbsp of mayonnaise. Mix well and then add salt/pepper for taste.
- In a second bowl add cooked fish, cilantro, green onion, jalapeño, garlic powder, hot sauce, liquid seasoning and the remaining mayo. Mix well. Taste and add salt/pepper if needed.
- When rice is done cooking place in a bowl. Now it's time to start plating. Place water in a small bowl. Start by placing a large spoonful of rice on a plate. Dip your fingers in the water and form the rice into a circular patty. Spoon the avocado mixture on top of the rice, followed by the shrimp/scallop salad. Garnish with fresh cilantro or micro greens.
- Serve this dish with a lime wedge and your favorite plantain chips