My new “better for you” Key Lime Cookies. Hot out of the oven graham crackers cookies topped with a creamy and tangy key lime icing, then garnished with a thin slice of lemon. These Key Lime Cookies are gluten free and contain a low glycemic sugar, making them a healthier and better dessert option. Made in 30 minutes or less, these cookies are a no brainer when your sweet tooth is calling.
For these cookies came when we had someone at work bring us key lime cookies to share. I am sensitive to sugar and knew that it wouldn’t be the best idea to have one, but I just couldn’t resist. Let’s just say my body didn’t react well. It got me thinking what if I used cleaner ingredients? Would the cookies still have the same great flavor? I was on a mission to create this same incredible cookies, but with ingredients that were cleaner and better for you.
To my surprise the Key Lime Cookies turned out great! The texture is soft and buttery, while the flavor is just as good. I like that when you eat these cookies you don’t get overwhelmed by the sugary taste. It’s the perfect amount of sweetness.
Here are the steps
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: Using an electric mixer, or a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add in Vanilla and eggs to the butter mixture. Beat until a soft, fluffy and light consistency has been achieved.
Step 3: In a second bowl mix together flour, crushed graham crackers, salt and baking powder. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a rubber spatula.
Step 4: Form cookies on a cookie sheet and bake for 13 minutes. While cookies are baking add cream cheese, vanilla, lime juice and remaining sugar into a bowl. Beat using an electric mixer until smooth.
Step 5: When cookies are done baking, place the back of the spoon on the cookies and lightly press to form a well. Let cookies fully cool. When cookies are cool place a dollop of icing on each cookie. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Place cookies on a serving platter and add a thin slice of lime to each cookie. Garnish with fresh mint to complete the look of the cookies. Enjoy!
Key Lime Pie Cookies
- 1 electric mixer
- 3 cups cassava flour
- 3 cups gluten free graham crackers- crushed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter- softened
- 2 eggs
- 16 oz cream cheese- softened
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 cups coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- lime slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl add butter and 2 cups of coconut sugar. Beat the ingredients using an electric mixer until smooth. Add in eggs and vanilla. Continue beating until a smooth and pale consistency has been achieved.
- In another bowl add graham crackers, flour, salt and baking powder. Using a whisk mix the dry ingredients together.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Roll about 1/4-1/2 cup dough into a ball. Place on a cookie sheet and lightly press down to form a circle shape. Continue this process until all of the dough has been used. Place the cookies in the oven and bake for 13 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, add cream cheese, coconut cream, lime and remaining cup of coconut sugar to a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the ingredients until smooth.
- When cookies are done baking remove from the oven. While cookies are still hot use the back of a spoon to lightly press down on the center to form a well. Let the cookies cool.
- When cookies are cool, place a dollop of icing in the center. Spread evenly on the cookie. Continue until all cookies are finished. Place cookies in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, place a thin slice of lime on each cookie. Enjoy!