The perfect holiday dessert! Individual Tiramisu with cranberry glaze is not only delicious, but it is extremely easy to make. This dessert is a combination of flavors that create a beautiful display for the holidays. Crunchy lady fingers are soaked in a coffee and port mixture before being placed in individual dessert glasses. They are layered with a cranberry glaze and a delectable mascarpone cream, then sifted with fresh cocoa powder. These Individual Tiramisu’s are the perfect covid dessert if you’re hosting a family/friends gathering for the holidays. Each guest has his or her own perfect Tiramisu, with no sharing necessary!
What is Tiramisu?
Tiramisu is an Italian dessert that consists of ladyfingers dipped in coffee/espresso and then topped with a mascarpone mixture. Ladyfingers are an Italian cookie that is either hard in texture or soft and spongy. The ideal ladyfinger for this recipe is the hard kind. If the cookies are too soft they may fall apart easier. This dessert sits in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to allow all of the flavors to meld together. The longer the dessert sets in the fridge the better. 24 hours is recommended for best results.
What is Mascarpone Cheese and where can I find it?
Mascarpone cheese is an Italian cream cheese. It’s a little bit lighter and creamier than a traditional American cream cheese. This cheese can be found in most grocery stores. Usually found in the cold case area with other cream cheese.
Can I use decaf coffee for this recipe?
Absolutely! If you don’t want the caffeine you can use decaf coffee. You can either brew a pot at home or go to your local coffee shop for a cup. The stronger you like your coffee determines whether or not you should use coffee or espresso. There is no right or wrong way, it’s all preference.
What will I need for this recipe?
- hand mixer
- 4-6 small dessert glasses or small wine glasses
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups/ spoons
- shaver for chocolate (vegetable peeler can be used)
- small sifter
Tiramisu with cranberry glaze
- small dessert glasses or small wine glasses
- hand mixer
- 1 3/4 cup coffee or espresso
- 3 tbsp port or rum
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 packages lady fingers
- 1 ounce chocolate for garnish
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce store bought is easiest (not canned)
- Start by making your mascarpone cream. In a medium bowl add 1/4 cup and sugar and 4 egg yolks. Using a hand mixer on medium speed beat the eggs and sugar until the yolks are pale in color and have doubled in size. You want the mixture to be nice and thick.
- In a second bowl add the remaining sugar and heavy cream. Using medium speed beat the mixture until soft peaks have been formed. Add mascarpone cheese and continue beating. Gently fold the mascarpone mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a shallow bowl add coffee and port/rum. Using each glass, sift a 1 tsp of cocoa powder on the bottom. Now it's time to start layering. Using one lady finger at a time, lightly place it in the coffee mixture. Soak the cookie on one side and then turn it over and do the other side. Be careful not to keep the finger in the coffee for too long. You dont want the cookie to become soggy. Place the lady finger in the bottom of the glass, breaking in half if the finger doesn't fit. Next, layer 1 tsp of cranberry on top, followed by 1 1/2 tbsp of mascarpone mixture. Continue this process until you reach the top. The very top of the glass should end with the mascarpone mixture. Dust more cocoa powder on top.
- When all glasses are filed with tiramisu place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or 24 hours if possible.
- When you're ready to serve shave some chocolate on top for garnish and add a few cranberries and mint (optional)