Eggplant is such a unique vegetable, and I’ve always been so timid when it comes to making it taste up to its full potential, which is why I created this recipe to ease your mind, and allow you to adventure with it’s deliciousness.
To get started with this recipe I used one medium sized eggplant and sliced it into rounds. Placing them on a cookie sheet, and sprinkling them with salt and pepper. I let them rest for about 10 minutes. This will help to remove moisture from the eggplant.
Then using 2 cups of fingerling potatoes place them onto a separate cookie sheet. In a bowl mix together 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 clove of chopped garlic and 3 tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves. Combine all the ingredients well and drizzle the mixture over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper if you desire. Don’t be afraid to mix with your hands, it adds additional love to the recipe. The potatoes and the mixture will go in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
While potatoes are cooking, place 4 cleaned, sliced and destemmed portabella mushrooms, on the baking sheet with the eggplant. Drizzle with olive oil and additional salt and pepper. Place on the grill until tender. When the eggplant is done cooking, place them on the cookie sheet with the mushrooms. A little extra olive oil never hurt, so I drizzled mine with a little more olive oil.
Once all three, mushrooms, eggplant and potatoes are fully cooked, stack them one at a time and drizzled them with your fresh pesto. I also have a recipe up for homemade delicious pesto!
I must say, the combination of flavors from the eggplant and pesto along with the fingerling potatoes and delicious fresh spices creates an explosion within your taste buds. This recipe can be the start to make New Year resolutions to try to conquer foods like eggplant, along with homemade pesto!
Eggplant Stack with Portobello Mushrooms and Pesto
- 4 portobello mushrooms- cleaned, stems removed and sliced
- 1 eggplant- sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup basil
- 1 cup pesto
- 2 cups fingerling poatoes
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt/pepper for taste
- Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place sliced eggplant on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Let it rest for about 10 minutes. This will help to remove moisture from the eggplant. Place fingerling potatoes on a cookie sheet. In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 clove of chopped garlic and rosemary. Drizzle the mixture over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and mix with your hands. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes
- While potatoes are cooking, place mushrooms on the baking sheet with the eggplant. Drizzle with olive oil and additional salt and pepper. Place on the grill until tender.
- When eggplant is done cooking remove from the oven. Place on a plate staking the mushroom and eggplant one at a time. Drizzle with pesto.
- Serve the stack with a side of the rosemary potatoes. Enjoy!